Spotlight on Saltram
Jun 28, 2021
No history of the ‘Barossa’ or of the Australian wine industry is complete without the mention of Saltram. In 1859 William Salter and his son Edward planted a vineyard in the Barossa Valley from which they produced 8,000 litres of a wine they called ‘No. 1 Shiraz’.
Pioneers of the region, the Salters were some of the first to purchase land there and recognise its immense potential. It was in these prosperous surrounds that the duo set about making wines with a philosophy that remains much the same today – to express the individuality of the vineyards and produce great Barossa wines known for their richness, intensity and character.
In 2019, Saltram celebrated its 160th anniversary. For 16 decades, only ten senior winemakers have been in charge at Saltram - testament to the exceptional standards and commitment that the portfolio is built upon.
Things to know:
- The Salters were a very religious family- ‘Mamre” came from the book of Genesis
- Saltram was one of the first wineries in South Australia to export wines to London in the mid to late 1800s
- Since its establishment in 1859, there have been only ten senior winemakers. Two families dominate the list: Salter and Dolan. Three generations of Salters – a founding family of Barossa wine were in charge of Saltram until 1937; and between 1954 and 2007 two generations of Dolans were at the helm. Today Alex Mackenzie is the proud custodian of this historic winery.
- Saltram involvement in wine shows is that of the history of the wine, receiving accolades from both domestic and international shows dating back to the 1870.
- Saltram’s The Journal Shiraz was created as an homage to the expansive ‘Vignerons Journals’ kept by Saltram’s founders the Salters. From the first time the vines were first planted in 1859, the journals meticulously recorded vineyard and winemaking activities, including many techniques that are still used to make Saltram wines today.
Wines on tasting during the Regional Gems program for Saltram are:
- Winemakers Selection Fiano
- Mamre Brook Shiraz
- Mamre Brook Cabernet Sauvignon
If you would like to find out more on how you can get your lips on some of these amazing wines and take part in our Regional Gems program, please contact Melissa.Maloney@tweglobal.com