What is a kitchen hand?
Dec 20, 2021
What is a Kitchen Hand?
Kitchen Hands assist kitchen and service staff in preparing and serving food, and clean food preparation and service areas.
What is their role?
- Cleaning kitchens, food preparation areas and sculleries
- Cleaning cooking and general utensils used in kitchens and restaurants
- Transferring, weighing and checking supplies and equipment
- Assembling and preparing ingredients for cooking, and preparing salads, savouries and sandwiches
What skills do I need?
- Coordination with others - Being adaptable and coordinating work with other people.
- Active listening - Listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions.
- Monitoring - Keeping track of how well work is progressing so you can make changes or improvements.
- Time management - Managing your own and other peoples' time to get work done.
- Serving others - Looking for ways to help people.
Do I need any qualifications?
You can work as a Kitchenhand without formal qualifications. Some on the job training may be provided. A certificate II in hospitality or kitchen operations might be helpful.
A successful kitchen hand is hard-working, reliable and can work well in a fast paced environment.
See here on our website if you’d like to apply for some kitchen hand positions!